Children's services Covid-19 Response
Orange Grove School is happy to welcome back our students to the 2020-21 school year. Things will look different, but you’ll be glad to know that OGC teachers and administrators have worked to put together a plan to make sure your student will be able to learn and achieve in the safest way possible through in-person and remote learning.
Your student’s needs and safety are top priority for us! Know that we will follow the phased attendance as well as elements of the HCS Reentry and Continuous Learning Plan, developed by the Hamilton County Department of Education School Reopening Task Force.
Based on these, Orange Grove School has also developed our own plans and protocols to assure a safe return to school for our students. Click on each plan area below for an overview of each. You can view the entire document here.
Health and Cleanliness (Sanitation, Screening, Distancing, PPE)
COVID-19 Screening and Temperature Checks
• Orange Grove screens for symptoms and performs temperature checks of students and staff.
• All students will undergo screening three times each day—once upon pickup or arrival at school, once around midday and once before leaving school.
• If a student has a fever of 100 or above and/or exhibits symptoms that could be consistent with COVID-19, Orange Grove staff will follow isolation and parent contact procedures.
• Orange Grove expects that all students should wear a face covering while in the school building.
• Students may remove their cloth face covering when outdoors. Students will have locations available where they will be able to safely go to “take a break” from wearing a face cover.
• Some students may have challenges wearing a face cover. If a mask is not tolerable, we will train and encourage students to wear a face shield.
• Where applicable, Orange Grove will follow guidance from HCDE when controlling exposure in classroom arrangement, material management and disinfection.
• Students will be assigned seating in classrooms to minimize crossover among children and adults and aid in identification of close contacts of infected individuals.
• As much as possible, students will receive one-to-one instructional support from school staff to minimize the risks of cross-class exposure.
• Where applicable, Orange Grove School will follow disinfection procedures as outlined by HCDE.
• Classrooms and high-touch surfaces will be disinfected regularly throughout the school day.
• Restrooms, therapy and lift equipment and other common items will be thoroughly sterilized after each use.
• Classrooms will be structured to facilitate social distancing. Barriers may be used in instances where practical and possible.
• Due to the nature of instruction, it may not always be possible to maintain 6 feet of distancing. Orange Grove mitigates these risks by providing and requiring use of PPE for staff.
• Any student or staff who has symptoms consistent with or who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 must isolate at home for a period of 14 days from symptom onset (or the date they were tested) AND must be fever-free (without the use of fever-reducing medications) AND without symptoms for at least 72 hours to return. This is not optional.
• Any student or staff who has been a close contact (within 6 feet for more than 10 minutes) of a person with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 must quarantine at home for a period of 14 days from their last exposure to that individual. This is not optional.
• Parents should keep their child at home if they are ill or exhibit symptoms of COVID-19. Any student or staff member with a fever of 100 degrees or greater, or who reports symptoms of COVID-19, should not be present at school.
Nursing, Medications, Therapy, and Nutrition
• Nursing services and medication administration will be available to students during school hours. Medications will be given by the nurse (in PPE) to students at the classroom door, with staff supporting the student as needed.
• Parents may deliver students’ medication and supplies to the Center by contacting Orange Grove School Nursing Line at 423-876-8360 to schedule time to meet the nurse.
• Therapies will be provided at Orange Grove Center. Parents will schedule therapies and provide their own transportation to the appointment. Parents and students must follow all screening, masking and distancing guidelines.
• Meals will be served in classrooms or outdoor spaces rather than the cafeteria. Face coverings will not be worn while eating.
Attendance and Building Access
• All curriculum will be offered both in-person and remotely online. Online learning will require a computer of other device and Internet access.
•As of September 14, Orange Grove School services will be offered on-campus Monday through Friday. This schedule will continue unless circumstances dictate a need to restrict classroom attendance. Regular classroom disinfection procedures will continue.
• Orange Grove School will generally follow the Phase guidance of Hamilton County Department of Education but may deviate from the County plan if OGC administration determines a need to do so.
• Parents will not be allowed to take their student or pick them up from their classroom. School staff only will escort students to and from the building. Parents and visitors to the Center will be strictly limited.
• It is strongly recommended that parents provide transportation for their students as much as possible to most effectively mitigate the risk of their child’s exposure to COVID-19.
• Orange Grove will run bus service for students.
•On days that bus service may not be provided, parents will be responsible for transporting their students on days where bus service is not provided, and on-campus instruction is offered.
• Students will be required to wear a face-covering or face shield as possible. Bus drivers and assistants will be required to wear appropriate PPE including face coverings and gloves.
• Bus interiors will be thoroughly disinfected by drivers and any available assistants between routes.
Besides working closely with Hamilton County Schools, we also reference guidance from the Hamilton County Health Department, the Tennessee Department of Health, and the CDC. We are keeping up with the latest information keep our children and staff safe and healthy.
You may have other specific questions about what we’re doing about returning to school at Orange Grove. Contact us by email at [email protected] and someone from our team will be happy to help you! Also please contact our administrative team if you have other questions or concerns:
Amy Jo Schamens – Principal, Education Director
423.599.2464 | [email protected]
Wayne Collins – COO, Orange Grove Center
423.308.1170 | [email protected]
Thanks for trusting the Exceptional Education Team at Orange Grove Center to meet your exceptional child’s education and achievement goals and dreams.